Saturday, August 17, 2013

A Safe Place to Land

Hello all! As you may have heard, I attempted to post a blog yesterday without success so this is my second attempt. I have made it to Vilsec! My housing on base isn't ready until Monday so I am staying with my mentor teacher and her roommate. Their house is amazing. I have my own bed and bathroom complete with a glass shower with adjustable water pressure! So cool. They have been very  accommodating, keeping me fed and showing me the town. We went on a rather lengthy walk yesterday after dinner to see the town and keep me awake. They were able to keep me up until about 10 pm German time and I slept in this morning. So my jet lag is nearly inexistent! Today has started with authentic German pretzels and some relaxing.

I won't lie, yesterday was really rough. Being in a country where you do not speak the language at all is overwhelming. I am the first intern to come over alone as well so I don't have anyone over here that can really relate to what I'm going through. Going on this adventure was not an easy decision to make . It involves leaving behind my family, friends, and everything familiar to me. I am not the kind of person who likes to be alone; I'd much prefer the company of others. So this trip is not only an incredible experience, it is a challenge. I hope to come home December 22nd a more independent, confident woman. Your prayers and good thoughts are much appreciated during this adventure.

I have no reason to believe that this trip will be anything short of amazing. I promise to blog as often as possible with updates but I refuse to do so if I have nothing witty or worthwhile to say. I'll leave that to the newspapers and late night talk show hosts. Keep in touch with me through face book, Skype (amy_hiatt85), email (amh6275@truman.edu), or texting and I will respond as promptly as I can. Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are having fun! I am glad that you made it there safely. I miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete