Monday, August 19, 2013

Surviving the Shuffle

This is now my third full day in Germany! I have still not been able to get into my room on base so I continue to stay with my mentor teacher. Hopefully I will be able to get all the necessary paperwork signed tomorrow and get moved in. School starts for teachers Wednesday!

I spent Saturday exploring a town called Amburg with one of my mentor teacher's friends who also attended Truman and now works at the school I will be doing my teaching at. Amburg is a quaint city surrounded entirely by a wall. There is a downtown area with many shops and caffes and rivers with walkways surrounding them. I will be sure to put up pictures soon! We walked around the whole city and then had a traditional German dinner of schnitzel and beer! It was all very yummy! She also showed me how to get around on the trains and busses and gave me a lot of advice about planning trips and ways to make the most out of my experience. It was a great way to see some of the country in a not-so-overwhelming way.

On Sunday I went to church with my mentor. We then went for a picnic at the schwimbad which is an outdoor pool. This one was unique because it was all natural, with no chemical treatments! It was too cold for me to get in but it was fun to people watch and take in the experience. We then went to some of my mentor teacher's friends house for dinner. They have 2 kids under 6 and it was fun to be around little balls of energy again!

Today I was able to look around base for the first time. We went virtually everywhere. I was able to see the school and the class ill be in. Everyone there seems really welcoming and friendly which will make for a nice transition. I saw the building I will be living in once we get all the logistics ironed out. I also went to the commissary and the PX where I got some information about Internet. Looks like it is going to cost a pretty penny to be able to have Internet in my room on base. What's worse, they are notorious for taking their time when getting things done so it could be a while before I am able to enjoy Internet from the comfort of my own home. This is something I have been most worried about when thinking about moving on base. I ask for good thoughts that things will be less complicated than they appear to be now.

I am so blessed to have the mentor that I do. She and her friends have made this transition as seamless as possible, keeping me entertained, fed, and in good spirits. While I wish I could complete my semester form the comfort of their home, I know that being in my own is one of the challenges I most wanted to face while I'm here. It is nice to know that I have people here looking out for me in addition to all my cheerleaders back home. Please keep good thoughts for my next transition on to base! Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got out and saw some things without being overwhelmed. :)
    And I LOVE your title. I just need for you to promise me that when you feel stressed, you will literally dance (I suggest shimmying) through the stress until, pretty soon, you're having fun shuffling across the (dance) floor.
    Love you, Amy--I'll read ALL your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete